My art, my life, and other.
My work explores issues of time, life and memory. Through painting I channel life experiences to create works of art.
I grew up in a house by the sea in Famagusta, Cyprus, a home I lost in the trauma of war, and, although I didn’t set out to produce art about anything specific, as my portfolio developed over the years I realised that the pleasure and energy I was getting from painting was when I focused on water, boats, beaches, marinas, wet stones and rocks, subjects emanating from childhood memories of my early life by the sea. Using strong tonal forms and a vivid colour palette my paintings are visual representations of conversations and inner feelings. Infused in time and space they act as a reminder of what has happened in the past. These moments become pathways for understanding the connections we share as humans with each other and with the natural world that surrounds us.
The artist I most admire is J.M.W. Turner (1775-1851).
I have travelled extensively around the world encountering its people and their languages; I have also lived in one of Africa’s ancient cultural centres and the Gulf, a coming together of the new and old worlds. I believe that this precious cultural diversity influences my work.
It’s about the process
A little bit more about me:
Career History & Exhibitions
- Co-founder, Cyprus Open Studios, Cyprus (2015-Present) Set up an annual programme of self-guided artist ‘open studio’ tours, to begin in October 2016. Learn more…
- Curator- Art Festival, Addis Ababa-Ethiopia (2011-2015) Organized this festival to showcase the work of Ethiopian artists from established practitioners to up and coming younger artists. The festival included an event which raised substantial funds for the Save the Children charity
- Artist/Art tutor/ Arts Advisory member/Curator Dubai Community Theatre and Arts Centre (DUCTAC), Dubai, UAE (2001-2011) Learn more…
- 2017 Hellenic Centre, London Uk
- 2013 Thisseas Gallery-Limassol-Cyprus
- 2011 Gallery Opus 39 Nicosia Cyprus
- 2010 Gallery Leila –Addis Ababa Ethiopia
- 2009 Gallery Mondo Arte-Dubai-UAE
- 2008 Gallery Mondo Arte-Dubai -UAE
- 2007 OPUS 39 Gallery Nicosia –Cyprus 10-21 April 2007
- 2007 Gallery Mondo Arte-Dubai-UAE
- 2005 Hunar Gallery-Dubai UAE
Selected Group and International Exhibitions
- 2016-Opus Gallery Nicosia, Cyprus
- 2015- Salon des refuses-Happenstance Gallery-London
- 2014-‘The Gallery’-Cork street London-UA societ
- 2013-Karaiskakeion foundation –charity-Nicosia Cyprus
- 2012- Anti-Dora Pegasus Arts Foundation-Limassol Cyprus
- 2011 Art Festival Addis Ababa-Ethiopia
- 2011 Modern Contemporary juried Art contest-New York
- 2010 Erotic Art Exhibition-Nicosia-Cyprus
- 2010-E.K.A.T.E. 50 years Anniversary of the Cyprus Republic-Nicosia
- 2009 Alliance Ethio- Francaise –Addis Ababa-Ethiopia
- 2009-Time to Shine- Abu Dhabi -UAE